Monday, March 24, 2008

Finding a New "Normal"

It's official. I'm in the part of this journey where it is time to figure out my new "normal". Life has been so consumed with Mom and her process, that everything surrounding her care and ultimately her death, had become my new routine. But now, suddenly, I'm without routine, and the very thing that was my purpose, focus and mission, is gone.

In a note I received from a friend this week, she talked about life in "the bubble", and now the bubble is burst, and I am re-entering the mainstream. I know this is "normal". From what I've gleaned from others who have sat beside dying parents or a protracted illness, I'm right in the "average" range on the charts. But, like those that have preceded me, I have to do this work on my own, and figure out my new "normal."

So, today, I am working at establishing a new "normal": wake up; have a quiet time reading and praying; drink coffee; eat breakfast; go to work; go to Mom's apartment and sort through and clean things out... Oh, guess I can't do total "normal" yet. But I'm gradually working toward that end.

Perhaps I'll console myself with knowing that I'm very "normal" at this stage of things.

1 comment:

  1. I wrote a very similar blog about 9 months ago. Normal is weird isn't it. It's ever-changing which seems sort of contrary to the very definition of normal. I think I could adjust pretty easy to some new normals - like winning the lottery or something. But these new normals are so hard to accept and embrace. I wish I had some great advice for you. Unfortunately this is one situation that only time and prayer can help. I am praying for you!

    ReplyDelete