Sunday, July 27, 2008

Keys

Just having received keys to our new home a few hours earlier, all 6 of us were a little goofy and elated as we sat on the new carpet of our new home Friday night, envisioning daily life in our new surroundings, planning the move, thinking ahead to holiday dinners, and determining where the Christmas tree would go. We celebrated God's goodness and His blessings in providing this house. This is the end of a journey that began 5 years ago, and the beginning of another adventure.

Today marks another momentous occasion--our wedding anniversary. We have been married for 23 years. Just this last week my oldest daughter thanked my husband and I for staying married when so many of her friends' parents are divorced or separated. I told her the key to being married is having the Lord at the center of things which is not always an easy task, especially when our human nature wants to take the reigns and--most often--run in the opposite direction of where the Lord would have us go. It is so easy to become self-centered in marriage. Marriage is about becoming like Christ, and allowing the Lord to grow each of us and so we increasingly become more like Him, rather than ooshy-gooshy feelings. (The bonus is when you have ooshy-gooshy feelings too!)

I'm so thankful for my dear husband's commitment and faithfulness to me, for being a wonderful provider for our family, being a loving and involved father to our 4 kids, and for his desire to always be growing in the Lord. I'd say 'I do' all over again, but I'd definitely break out of the '80's style.

2 comments:

  1. congratulations!! wow...23 years!! that's amazing! he is very lucky to have you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. how THRILLING about your new house!!!!!

    And happy anniversary. :)

    ReplyDelete