Sunday, October 22, 2006

Dancing With The Stars

I'll confess, I'm a "Dancing With the Stars" fan. You know, that "reality" show on TV that matches up a professional dancer with a celebrity and then the pair competes weekly against similarly matched couples. The goal is to see which celeb can outlast, and out dance the others. For some reason, I have gotten totally hooked on this show. I like to daydream about being able to glide around a dance floor with grace and elegance, or be in such great physical shape that I could do a quick step and not pass out or have a heart attack in the process! And honestly, if I was in such great shape and had the toned bodies of those professional dancers, I might even be willing to wear some of those wild, skimpy outfits.(hmm, okay, well, maybe not...)

I haven't given up on the dream of dancing, or being able to move my body in such an athletic yet graceful manner. I'd still like to take ballroom dance lessons at some point in my life, but I'm realistic--I could never get to the same level of professionalism as those strutting their stuff on ABC. But I'm thinking that maybe Heaven will hold more hope.

I've contemplated Heaven and wondered so many things about it. For instance, since we will have new bodies, and not be bound by limitations in our former earthly bodies, I've often wondered if we'll still do or have similar capabilities like we do now. For example, if we enjoy singing now, will we really enjoy singing in Heaven just that much more? ( Or teaching, dancing, etc.) And, will we be able to do them without limitations or restrictions? I've been hopeful that Heaven will hold a limitless vocal range for me. I dream of being able to worship God in full voice, soaring through a high range of notes, gushing forth from the depths of my soul, and not bound by the alto voice I have now.

In Heaven, will we have another dimension to us...still us...but a complete us--worshiping, praising and glorifying the Lord to our fullest extent? I think of the verse in Isaiah 55:12 where the Lord says to Israel , "...the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees will clap their hands." I think we are given a hint of how God does things. He sees all the dimensions of his creations--what His creation is without sin's fetterings. Did you know that trees have hands? Me either. And did you know that mountains and hills sing? (Well, yes, actually I did since I've seen "The Sound of Music" a gazillion times. "The hills are alive, with the sound of music, ahhh-ahhh-ah- ah...."). Just kidding...but you get my point. God talks about an entirely differerent dimension to trees and hills than we know. (Or is He just being figurative and poetic?)

A few years ago a friend told me about a book she had read, where a woman gave an accounting of her "near death" experience. (Whether you believe in near death experiences or not is not what I want to debate here, however, something she shared, is. ) The author said that while in "heaven" she walked in a huge field of flowers. The colors were far more brilliant, richer and deeper in tones and hues, than anything we've seen. But what really got here attention was that the flowers were singing! I love that image! Wouldn't that be just like God? Not only do flowers smell great, are glorious in their colors and design, but they sing their praises to their creator as well. They glorify God by being fully what they were created to be, not limited by this sinful earth. Oh, I hope Heaven is filled with singing flowers!

I also have thought about C.S. Lewis' illustration of what Heaven is like in The Chronicles of Narnia. (It has been many years since I've read the passage so please correct me or give me more information if I have this wrong). If I remember correctly, it is in "The Last Battle" (is that the right name? My brain just had a memory blip...)when Aslan is taking the children to his home that is by way of the river and waterfall. As the lion leads the children up the river and up the waterfall, the beauty around them intensifies. The 'further in and higher up' they go everything around them is richer in color and textures unlike anything they've seen before. I like to think Heaven will be like that. Richer and deeper in texture than anything we've ever experienced.

So as I ponder about Heaven, and the mystery of it all, I think about nature praising and worshiping its Creator, not bound by what we know here on earth. What surprises there must be waiting for us. What a joy will be ours! Perhaps I really will be able to sing without limitation and maybe, just maybe, I'll be 'dancing with the stars'--of the celestial type!

No comments:

Post a Comment