Thursday, September 06, 2007

Adjusting

I'm happy to report we've officially moved into our new home--and we're adjusting!

We're adjusting to new sounds while sleeping at night; most noticeably the absence of road and airport noises, and the presence of frogs and crickets "chirping".

We're adjusting--slowly--to more space. We have one room that is completely empty because we don't have enough "stuff" to put in it. This will most likely be the "overnighter" room when the kids' friends can stay over night. I find myself staring blankly into the cupboard spaces wondering what I should put in them. 'Perhaps if I spread out my canned goods it will take up more space in the pantry.' (I know--a great problem to have!)

We're adjusting to not remembering what box we packed something in, but confident that we will discover it one day soon. We're adjusting to just "making do" until that day!

We're all adjusting to new morning routines that involve walking to school and a few changes in the work commute.

We're adjusting to a life that suddenly is void of immense stress and pressure and finding a new pace that works.

The kids are adjusting to another school year, but thankfully at the same schools.

I'm adjusting to the kids beginning another school year but with the same bit of melancholy I always feel at this time of year. It all goes so quickly, and I always experience a little bit of sadness that our summertime together is over. This year is another big year for us; my second oldest is entering his senior year, my oldest daughter is a sophomore and my baby is an 8th grader. How can it be? I remember holding her hand as we walked to kindergarten just the other day--or so it seemed--and then crying all the way home as I walked home empty handed.

I'm adjusting to a body that is now fully recovered from surgery. I am feeling an increase in energy and obvious absence of pain that I had unknowingly become accustomed to.

I'm adjusting to all these changes by consuming WAY too much caffeine to keep me going these days. My "good" eating habits have gone out the window the last couple of weeks as I find myself reaching for comfort foods.

I'm adjusting to the notion that I'd better get "back on the wagon" soon and change the way I'm eating, pronto!

I'm adjusting to adjusting. I used to think I didn't mind change, or changes. But that is something I've discovered about myself in this process--change is exhausting--and I feel a little bit like I'm limping over the finish line...but nevertheless...did finish! I know I need to be gracious with myself in that we did packed up an entire household, painted rooms and cleaned an entire townhouse,had surgery and moved into another house all in 1 month's time. (okay, when I put it in writing like that...I don't feel like such a wimp!)

I'm adjusting to the idea that there are still adjustments, even when your cup is overflowing with abundance, like mine. I'm thankful that I get to adjust to these bountiful blessings.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, you have been busy! That's a lot to undertake in 1 month but God has sure been amazing in his timing. And in his blessings! Congrats on adjusting to all these wonderful things.

    And by the way, I'm carrying about 20-30 pounds of comfort food. I'm convinced the combination of stress, chocolate and french fries is a trifecta straight from the pit. It feels good but it's oh so bad. Be afraid, be very afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear your recovery has gone well and that you are settling in to the new place. When we moved in here several years ago we had an empty room and extra cupboard space too. But lemme tell ya, we managed to fill it up and now all the stuff is closing in around us! So enjoy the extra space and don't be in too big of a hurry to put things in there. I like the idea of an overnight room for the kid's friends. It could be their music/jammin' room too.

    There seems to be a theme going among many of us about needing to get back to better eating habits. In trying to bulk up our tall skinny boy, his parents have been eating extra right along with him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl,
    Congrats on your new home! I remember having all kinds of room when we first moved in too...now I feel like the walls are closing in on me. :-) (Of course my little ones are starting to accumulate more and more stuff by the minute it seems).
    I missed your blogging voice while you were gone!
    Love,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete