Saturday, September 15, 2007

Are You Ready For Some Football?

Last night was the first home game of the season for our high school football team. My daughter, a sophomore, and my son, a senior, were very excited for the first game of the year. It was pretty fun being around them as they made plans with friends and prepared for the game.

My son had requested face paints before the game. He explained to me 'how things work' at the games and his "responsibility" as a senior. Evidently the first several rows in the stands at the football field are "reserved" for the seniors, and, it is expected that if you are a senior male, you will come to the game with, at the very least, your face painted to show school pride! So part of our errand-running yesterday was a jaunt to Party City to get red, black and white face paints...the school colors of The Crimson Tide. This picture is of my son exuding school spirit. Although he looks a little scary here, I assure you he has a very tender, gentle heart!

My daughter made preparations for the game by working on her hair. The biggest decision was whether to wear the crimson colored ribbon around her pony tail. After deliberation, it was decided that it was "too much" and that she would only wear her school tee shirt and minimal face paints. The picture is of her and her good friend as they head out the door to cheer their team on, complete with football-player-esque black under her eyes.

Finding myself at home alone last night as my husband was having a "guys night out" and my other kids were elsewhere, I scanned the free cable movies to find a movie to watch while sipping a cup of hot tea. Although not intentionally meaning to carry on the football theme of the evening, I decided upon "Facing the Giants", a true story about a Christian high school football team and their coach. I had heard about this little gem awhile ago and had wanted to see it for sometime. What a great movie! Not an Oscar-worthy movie by any means, but the message and truth behind it is good.

I discovered my new, "favorite" quote in a scene where the football coach is talking to one of his a team members about his lack of respect toward his father. The coach says to the young man, " Your attitude is the aroma of your heart".

Isn't that great? I have thought about that throughout the day today and have actually caught myself a few times when I was having a negative "aroma".
It was a good night of football...on and off the field. Even though our high school team lost, everyone came home in good spirits. The kids are already thinking ahead to next Friday night, anticipating another cool autumn evening filled with cheers, face paints and great memories made with friends.

Aah.....I love this time of year and the smiling faces of my dear children.

No comments:

Post a Comment