Monday, November 19, 2007

It's My Birthday!


I'm usually not one to shamelessly plug my own birthday, but call it a result of "maturing" or this "season" of life, or whatever, but I'm pretty much over that now, so...

TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!!

Yep, 48 years ago I was born on this day. I know, I'm asking myself the same thing--how can it be 48 years already? I am continually amazed the years keep increasing while I still feel around early thirties on the inside. I don't know that I ever really thought I'd get to be "nearing 50". I mean, isn't this how old my grandparents were once? And wasn't my mother this age once?? It remains one of those mysteries of life that I don't think I'll ever fully wrap my head around.

Perhaps one of the reasons I'm writing a post about my birthday is because I'm no longer afraid of birthdays. Well, actually, I don't know that I've ever really "feared" birthdays, but I think I've resented them to some degree. Why do I have to get older just because the calendar says so?? However, my philosophy is changing. I'm seeing more of a need to celebrate the day of my birth and celebrate that God created me and gives me each day as a gift.

I know I've written a lot this past year about this season of life I'm in, and how "transitional" life feels and really is. Yet, in the midst of it all, I have seen God directly working, bringing peace, moving and leading. In the deep valleys He has continued to be faithful and good. Just this morning, I was reminded of God's presence in the "daily-ness" of my life. He is with me always. He is my strongest defender, protector and provider. I'm so thankful.

Recently, I was in a meeting where we were discussing the meanings of names and some of those present shared the meanings of their own names. I have to say that I couldn't remember what my name meant so I rushed home to look it up on the computer. I smiled as I read the meanings. 48 years ago, my parents named me Cheryl Jeanette which means, "Beloved" and "God is gracious". How true this has been in my life.

Thank you for creating me Lord. Thank you for this Happy Birthday day you have given me!

5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Auntie Cheryl! I was thinking of you today and glad that you are celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday younger sister! We are the same age for about 2 months. I appreciate your posts about this season of life. I've probably said it before, that you express what I couldn't put into words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Friend!!!!! You are such a blessing to all who know you and I thank God for our friendship.
    Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am so glad you were born! happy birthday! -Becci :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Cheryl! Your parents clearly picked the perfect name for you. I pray that God's blessings will pour over you in the coming year.

    ReplyDelete