Monday, November 05, 2007

What would you do?


Walk through this scenario with me and tell me what you would do.

I currently have a part-time job. Hours are M-Th, 6 hours each day. I do some occasional Friday work as well, but for the most part, 24 hours a week. I get to see my husband out the door to work, the kids off to school and am home when they get home. I earn a pretty decent hourly wage and there is great flexibility for time off if needed. There are Christmas bonuses and other perks throughout the year.

My employer is a Christian man with strong family values and for the most part, good ethics. He is usually kind and matter of fact, but never harsh or angry. There are the normal pressures of work that at times overflow to me, but for the most part, he is very easy going and pleasant.

The negatives of this job is the nature of the business; life and health insurance. Not only that, but it is life and health insurance for seniors, so the majority of my work is talking to insurance companies and trying to straighten out Medicare induced fiascoes for the seniors. At times talking to the seniors is a task in itself. They are just as confused by all of this stuff as I am...even more so!!

There is nothing creative about this job. It is mainly paper work, answering phones, and talking to insurance companies. It is a dead end job. This is as exciting as it will get. This is as much potential for personal growth as I will ever experience with this agency. I have "arrived."

Now, take a look at the opportunity presented to me a week ago:

I received a phone call from a prestigious flower shop that I had inquired with a month prior. They asked if I would come in for an interview. I went to an interview on Tuesday. As part of the "audition" for the job, I had to design something (this is standard practice for this kind of gig), and mid-designing, they hired me as one of their designers on the spot! I told them I would have to give my two week notice with my current employer, at which they said they would be happy to work with me on that.

What excites me about this position is the possibility of growth and the nature of the business. It is an upscale flower shop and closer to my home by 15 minutes compared to the insurance agency. This shop also does trendy, and "high design" type of work, all of which they said they would be happy to teach me. They didn't mind that my skills have not been "updated" for many years, and again said that they would be more than happy to bring me up to speed. Employment there would even include a yearly floral design seminar, completely paid for by them.

The negatives of this job are that I would be starting out $3.00 less an hour than what I am currently making at the insurance office. However, this is only "temporary" according to the shop. Being the "newbie" my hours would include 3 Saturdays a month (which interferes with my church-going time) and I would have to work the later shift during the week which means I would not get off work until around 6 or 7 in the evening. I would be working about 30 hours a week; full-time during holidays.

All of these things I was willing to work with and figure I was paying my dues for the opportunity, until this weekend when I worked both Saturday and Sunday. I was given new insight into how this shop functions.

They are indeed very busy and do BEAUTIFUL work. I would be fortunate to learn and grow under their instruction. Their skills far surpass anything I can currently create. However, I'm not certain I could work with the owner.

Initially, "M" seems like a very nice person. She is very soft-spoken and kind to her customers, and has consistently been nice to me--maybe because we are nearly the same age. But it was an eye opener seeing how she treats her employees. I honestly think she may be bi-polar, or something of that nature. No kidding, it was as if I was watching Dr. Jekyll and Mr(s.) Hyde. If an employee asked her how she wanted something displayed, she was angry and complained that she had to tell them "everything". But, when someone took initiative and worked on their own, she went into a tirade about how it wasn't getting done right and complaining about how she had to do it all herself. The other really disturbing thing is that she publicly berates her husband in front of the staff and verbally abuses him. It was so disturbing to me that I literally was getting sick to my stomach.

I tried to read the non-verbal clues from the other employees to see if this was the "norm" or an anomaly. It seemed as if it was the norm. No one dared to say any contrary word, or even speak unless spoken to. Everyone seemed to be walking on egg shells. I'm certain the facade she holds up for me would fade quickly once I was there all the time.

So, this is my dilemma: Do I actually leave my non-creative, dead-end office job at the insurance company with a boss that is a Believer, kind and flexible, for the creative, potentially growth-producing (both personally and skill-wise) job with the unpredictable, verbally abusive owner, where I would be the only Believer in the shop and probably emotionally exhausted from the tension?

I still have a window to work in. As it is, I have not been replaced at the insurance office. We are beginning interviews later this week; and, I am only working on Saturdays at the flower shop until my full two weeks are up with my current employer, which will put us at November 16.

My head is in a swivet. Thoughts swirling about--confusion galore--is this from God? Where is He leading? Is this a matter of being light in the darkness? Of going out into the world and being salt? Of....okay enough cliches--But really, does this play into the decision? Is it time to get out of the comfort zone? Or should I take notice of the tears that ran down my cheeks as I came home from the flower shop the other day. Was this just disappointment? Was it due to exhaustion and working 7 days straight with no break in sight until day 13? Or was it clarity about what the actual work conditions will be at the flower shop and the emotional stress that would come with it?

So, again I ask, what would you do? I really would like to know. Currently I'm employed two places...which do I let go of? Let me know what you would do, and then I'll let you know what I did... (!)

9 comments:

  1. CT

    Paul had his Timothy
    Noemi had her Ruth
    Boaz had his Ruth - too..
    Paul even had his Titus.

    Why the pairings?
    God prepares us to be our best by pairing us with individuals whose strengths round out our rough spots.

    My advice? Go into business for yourself and BE the one with all the leadership potential to take another to the next level.

    bg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - if she acts that way on your first two days . . . it does make you wonder what she's like all the time. Perhaps God has something else for you but it would be hard to leave your current situation knowing that this might be the atmosphere you face. Tough call, but I might be inclined to stay put for awhile or look for something else. I'll be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for weighing in Kim. I know you really understand the situation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with both Brad and Kim. Also your family needs to be considered and the stress the new job would carry over to them. I understand the salt and light thing too, but keeping good boundaries is important as well. Hope that makes sense. This is a difficult one to know what to do. I'm anxious to find out what you decided.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sandy for sharing your thoughts as well. I had already made my decision when I posted this entry, but curious as to what others would do in a situation like this. I'll reveal what I did in a few days...not that it is all that thrilling or anything...(But it has turned out just fine)

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheryl,
    I agree with everyone here. It is a tough call, but even though you may be doing something you love, working for someone who isn't a great manager would probably have an impact on how much you love your job. I do get what you're saying about salt and light, but people also need ears to hear (or tastebuds to taste/eyes to see). I think you'd do GREAT if you went into business for yourself.
    Just my two cents...
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here are my random thoughts:

    First, I've done essentially the same job for three different companies. And I found that a fulfilling job in an unfulfilling environment left me depressed. Similarly an unfulfilling job in a fulfilling environment was painful at times but overall I was still content. (Vote for insurance)

    Second, I think all new jobs are terrible the first few months. Feeling like an outsider, learning a new routine, establishing yourself among the team, BLECH. Perhaps in time things may seem better even if your boss is still a nightmare. (Vote for floral shop)

    Third, I agree that God could be leading you to a situation where you could really minister to your manager and co-workers. He doesn't always want us to be comfortable. (Vote for floral shop)

    Maybe working at the floral shop would give you the contacts and confidence to branch out on your own. From the photos on your site, you clearly have the talent! And you'd be working for the best boss EVER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would stay at the insurance office. I think you would regret the decision to not be home after school and at dinner with your kids, and would miss attending church regularly. Mix that with a negative boss and it sounds miserable to me, no matter how much you love the actual work.

    I used to work in an insurance office too. Believe me, I understand the lack of significance in the work! My boss there really was bi-polar - for real! He would absolutely freak out on people - yelling and screaming. He was kind to me, I think because I never got in his face, but I was still so stressed out and unhappy. I wouldn't choose to work with another person like that for anything in the world.

    I think you should pay attention to the tears you had when you left the floral job. It's just not worth it. Good luck in your decision making! ;-)

    ReplyDelete