Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Truth

The Lord has been teaching me a lot about truth lately. Not a fun or easy task. Actually, it is a gruelling journey that I would have opted out of many times over by now...but I can't. I was created this way; with a tenacity for truth. I remember being this way since I was a little girl, never satisfied with just whatever someone would tell me, but wanting to know the truth for myself. I guess I was inquisitive, but I know it is also what the Lord has called me to. If I truly am going to follow Christ and profess him as Lord of my life, then I want to be obedient in whatever he calls me to.

I'll confess, I'm tired of the challenges. Sure there are days I find myself bargaining with Him, or asking for a pass, but then conviction from the Holy Spirit comes strong and direct. No denying it. If I choose to live my life grounded in truth (not an easy task) then daily it will be contested and challenged because our world doesn't run by truth, or seek truth. I mean, if you think about it, look at Corporate America. It doesn't operate on truth, but rather does whatever is necessary to protect the corporation and make things continue to work. No body's job is safe (these days especially) and everyone is expendable as long as the corporation survives. But I digress--Bottom line is, I don't want to be a wimp. I want to be a good and faithful servant, and so I press on.

One of the most prominent lessons I've been learning lately is that people really aren't comfortable with truth, or generally speaking, don't really want to know the truth. I'm not just talking capital "T", as in Jesus, but just truth in general. I see this everyday in the insurance world as I talk daily to many clients. There are clients that have had my employer as their agent for years, and have always trusted him, commented that he has integrity and has never let them down; always have known him to be a dependable guy. Which is true. He is a consistent, straight-arrow type of guy that never causes waves. And yet, we get phone calls from some of these seniors who inform us that they've abruptly changed to another insurance plan and with another agent because they 'liked how the other agent looked' or spoke. (Always a great way to decide your insurance needs!) Meanwhile, what they are turning a blind eye to (and choosing not to address) is that the other agent has switched them to an insurance plan that will cost them more money and really is not the best plan to meet their needs. In the end, the only one profiting or benefiting from the deal is the insurance agent. It amazes me how many choose not to hear the truth simply because the version they are being presented with is dressed up and more appealing some how; It is more comfortable or they flat out want to believe it just because it relieves them of any responsibility or work on their own part.

I see this same vulnerability everywhere I look, and in myself. Anytime we're confronted with truth, it shows all those areas that don't align with truth that much more clearly. Truth becomes a mirror of sorts--showing the flaws such as pride, wounds, failures, mistakes. And it isn't fun. It is hard work and is always humbling. The tricky part about truth is that when we are confronted with it, it requires something from us--a response of some kind--and it is scary. But all too often, we avoid seeking truth, going after it as a treasure or probing deeper because we fear the unknown and the reality of what we'll discover. We're fearful of what being faced with the truth might demand of us. If we don't seek truth, then we can remain comfortable, status quo, and we can be confident that radical change won't be required of us.

What I'm also learning is that one of the beautiful things about truth is that there is peace when truth is present. Truth doesn't need defending. No argument can be present where there is truth because how does one argue what is true? It just is. It doesn't need a "circling of the wagons" to protect it, it stands on its own. There is freedom in truth that is not dependent upon how it is presented, or what version is given. Real truth is pure and resonates deep within the spirit. Truth connects the dots. And I'm so thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment