Saturday, November 11, 2006

Ad-vo-ca-cy: Speaking up

ad·vo·ca·cy n.
The act of pleading or arguing in favor of something, such as a cause, idea, or policy; active support.

Advocacy. This "idea" has been on my mind a lot lately. It seems I'm encountering it almost daily. Though the venues are different, the heart of the matter is the same...individuals with passionate conviction who argue in favor of or show their active support, speaking truth on behalf of someone or something.

Many fellow bloggers have recently been advocates, or have found themselves becoming advocates. My friend Kim shares her "October Blues" experience about being an advocate for her church, supporting the building of relationships and connecting with one another in the church body. Jennifer, another dear one, who is passionate about others sharing their story of how God has moved in their life and is anticipating the unifying effect it will have on the church family. My newly transplanted blogging friend from Mississippi Yolanda has become an advocate for Pacific Northwest living and presenting the case for enjoying the beauty that surrounds this area and the One who created it. And then, there are still others like Leah who challenges us all to "Cooperate with Joy", or Libby who examines advocacy up close and shares that with us in her "Pain Killer" entry; and a couple of my fellow blogging "brothers" Dean and Dallas who discuss the recent confession of the hidden lifestyle and sin of Ted Haggard, and their plea in favor of being Christ-like, advocating a response from fellow believers that is grace-filled.

In my own experiences as a wife, mother, daughter, sister, Believer, church member, leader, employee... etc., I have been called to be an advocate quite a lot lately. I'm discovering it is not for the faint of heart. Although my "platforms" have been on a much smaller scale and not as profound as some others, I find a kinship with other advocates. I think of well known advocates like Martin Luther King, Jr., Billy Graham, and Gandhi and consider the price they paid for "speaking up". There seems to always be a "cost" to being an advocate; it may be as minimal as someone just verbally communicating disagreement, or on the extreme end of the spectrum, bodily injury or even death if the wrong person is ticked off.

So, I ponder-- Why speak up for someone we don't know, or some value or principle we strongly believe is right and truthful?; Why take on the cause of fighting injustices even when it doesn't directly affect us?

I consider scripture that speaks of being an advocate. Proverbs 31:8, "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and the needy." And Luke 10:27, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind; and, love your neighbor as yourself." I'm convicted in that I am called to this life of "speaking up" for others or injustices. I have a responsibility to my "neighbor"--to actively love them. (The story of the Good Samaritan lives this out)

I'm challenged by the practice of advocacy, serving in word and deed, and keenly aware at how often I fail in it. I can see the need to "speak up" all around me, or live out my convictions by my actions and yet, at times, I'm too much of a chicken to do what is right. I can default into 'self-protect' mode and stay quiet rather than arguing in favor of a cause or stand against injustices; or my skin is still a little too thin and I fear a critical comment or two. This is what I am growing in these days...being confronted with...internally being asked the question, "What will you do with this, Cheryl?" It's scary and unknown, but good. The conviction and call to be Christ-like keeps me driving forward one step at a time.


Baby steps and practice... that's what I'm learning, but I want to press on. This is just the beginning and believe me, I'm fumbling through this more than I'm feeling "successful". I want to be an "advocate" for advocacy and ask you to join me. If you need a starting point, I'd suggest checking out blogging brother Brad's (I couldn't resist the alliteration) recently posted pictures. This moving post should compel us all to act, or react as the case may be. At the very least it should convict us all to answer that mass-mailed "Thanksgiving Dinner" donation plea we all receive from the local rescue mission. Baby steps.... I've also included two links below to some other "causes" that are dear to my heart that I want to "speak up" for. I encourage you to check them out and become involved in some manner.


The Dalit Freedom Network is an organization that my family became acquainted with this past year. The "Dalits" of India are known as "the untouchables" and it means just what the name implies. I had the opportunity to go to India this past year and had the privilege of meeting some Dalit women. I was overwhelmed on so many levels. I caught only a glimpse and minimal understanding of the injustices these dear people face daily...but my heart was broken. My family joyfully sponsors a Dalit child through this website, so that they can attend school and have hope in their lives. I encourage you to consider becoming involved in their lives as well.

Another "cause" that has come to the forefront this past week is on behalf of my dear friend "K" and her family. K's brother and sister-in-law have been imprisoned for trying to rescue their daughter, Brittany (K's niece)from known abuse at the hands of Brittany's biological father. Our twisted court system is not protecting Brittany, but rather has given her over to the biological father. Save Our Brittany is a developing website where more will be coming forward on how to help and support this devastated family and ways you can be involved in being an advocate for them. Please be praying for them, pleading their cause to our Heavenly Father (a prayer guide is posted on the website) and please send them notes of encouragement via the website.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout out and the good words about being an advocate. A great message in these days when it's so easy to want to just look out for ourselves. Thanks for sharing this! :)

    ReplyDelete