Friday, November 17, 2006

I'm Chevy Chase, and You're Not!




And now, it's time for the WEEKEND UPDATE.
Okay, I've dated myself... But those who remember SNL ( "Saturday Night Live") in its golden days (mid-1970's to early '80's) will remember Chevy Chase's famous tag line as he presented THE WEEKEND UPDATE, weekly...on Saturday nights...live. It just seemed fitting as I pieced together this entry. (At least I didn't use Dan Aykroyd's "Jane, you ignorant ..." That would have been hard to work into a post!)

Really, this is a post about "updates" not SNL or Chevy. Onward!

Rather than bore you with a long laborious post I thought I would share a few updates on life as we enter into the weekend.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
This is my birthday weekend--Sunday to be exact--#47! (How can that be??) Time to celebrate! Plans are in the works to have a girls night out ( possibly a slumber party too) with my two sisters at my oldest sister's house. It should be a really fun, relaxing time with lots of talking and laugher! A joint, family-dinner-out-at-a-nice-restaurant-celebration is also planned with my husband and the kids to celebrate my spouse's birthday as well. His big day was a week and a half ago and was a big one! We're still trying to coordinate everyone's schedules to make this dinner thing happen.

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_

I am now 7 weeks past my wrist surgery. It has gone quickly. I am continuing to have physical therapy weekly and will for another couple of weeks. At my 6 week check the doctor said I was 'right where I should be' in the healing process, so that's great news. This week was the first that I've gone completely without wearing my splint! Woohoo! I also only took Advil one day this week and there are more days without swelling than days with! My pain level is pretty much nil. The tricky part now is regaining coordination and strength in my hand and wrist and stretching daily to work out the stiffness and get my range of motion back. I even have some pretty neon yellow "putty" to play with!

I have two sets of scars; one on the top side of my wrist where they repaired the frayed edges of torn cartilage, and then on the palm side of my hand and wrist where he decompressed the ulnar nerve. I have a wild zig zag scar from almost mid-palm (centered under my ring finger) down to my wrist. It zigs, then zags, then zigs again. It is improving daily and according to the doctor, a year from now it will blend in more!! (ugh!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mom began chemotherapy this week. The doctors determined this was her "window" if she was going to try it. She has a lot of peace in that decision and one that she made on her own. We are all supportive of whatever she decides--its her life. So far she is doing well and feeling optimistic. It will be another week or so before she really begins demonstrating side affects, but so far she has felt good, just tired.

I don't know why things happen like this, but this past Wednesday, just prior to receiving her first chemo, Mom received a call informing her that her sister, Helen, had died early that morning. She is Mom's oldest sibling, and the last member alive of her immediate family. It was a surprise. Although Aunt Helen had been in an Alzheimers care facility, she had been in good health and doing relatively well, I believe. (Aunt Helen was 75? Something like that. My Mom is 68.) Although they don't have all the information yet my cousin, Steve, said it appears she went to bed Tuesday night and died sometime during the night in her sleep. God is so merciful.


Please be praying for Mom as she is on this part of her journey. It is such an unknown, but she is knowing the Lord deeper in new ways as she moves forward.

********

My mother-in-law was hospitalized last weekend. They are still trying to determine what is wrong with her, but have narrowed it down to a possibility of two very serious viruses. She has had declining health all year, but regardless of how often she is hospitalized and we all think "this is it", she comes back from the edge of death and keeps going strong. We are praying that the Lord will take her home to Heaven quickly and peacefully when His timing is right. Please pray for my husband and his sisters as they continue addressing her needs and continue to make decisions regarding her care and treatment. Please pray for peace for my mother-in-law.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have been working full-time hours for about 4 weeks now. My little part-time clerical job (15-20 hours a week doing basic clerical work) has suddenly hit high speed, fast and furious, as the insurance guy I work for is in the middle of a big project. It has been a bit tricky adjusting to this kind of schedule and accomplishing anything at home, or do any kind of floral work--but so far, so good. The extra money will be great as we head into the holidays and, again, God's provision, he is supplying all of our needs for a few financial "things" we hadn't anticipated. I have enjoyed being busy and even more-so since my hand and wrist continue to heal. This schedule should continue through February or March and then taper off again.

@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@

The Holidays are coming. Not really sure I'm "ready" for them, but sipping a peppermint mocha at Starbucks last night helped a wee bit. It felt "special". I started feeling the stirrings of holiday-ish-ness. It made me think of one of my favorite Christmas-season songs, "Silver Bells." I connected with this song at some point in my childhood and I've always loved it. It makes me feel all warm and cozy. Bing Crosby and the Andrews Sisters do the best version on Bing's Christmas album...yes I said album...or as my kids used to say when they were little, 'the really big CD's'.


"Silver Bells"

Silver Bells, Silver Bells
It's Christmas time in the city
Ring-a-ling, hear them ring
Soon it will be Christmas Day

City sidewalks
Busy sidewalks
Dressed in holiday style
In the air there's
A feeling of Christmas
Children laughing
People passing
Meeting smile after smile
And on every
Street corner you'll hear

Silver Bells, Silver Bells
It's Christmas time in the city
Ring-a-ling, hear them sing
Soon it will be Christmas Day

Strings of street lights
Even stoplights
Blink a bright red and green
As the shoppers rush home
With their treasures
Hear the snow crunch
See the kids bunch
This is Santa's big scene
And above all
This bustle you'll here

Silver Bells, Silver Bells
It's Christmas time in the city
Ring-a-ling, hear them sing
Soon it will be Christmas Day

Silver Bells, Silver Bells
It's Christmas time in the city
Ring-a-ling, hear them sing
Soon it will be Christmas Day

Soon it will be Christmas Day

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Okay, I'm getting ahead of myself, first things first...

Happy Thanksgiving!!

2 comments:

  1. I have that album too...actually it's on tape (or the tiny video as my boys call it)...and I agree, it IS the best version of Silver Bells out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl -
    Happy belated birthday! It was great to see you Saturday night but I'm sad we didn't get a chance to chat. Actually it's probably a good thing as I'm fighting a nasty cold and I wouldn't have wanted to share it with you! ;)

    I'll be praying for your mom and Ron's mom and the struggles they are facing and for you and your family as you encourage and support them. Have a great time on your dinner out - hope it's a special time!

    ReplyDelete