Sunday, November 05, 2006

Forecast: Partly Cloudy with a few Showers


I just had to give a weather update following my previous, "Stormy Weather" post. No, things haven't changed 180 degrees, but there have been a few moments where the clouds have parted and a ray of sun has shone through. Or should I say the "Son" has shone through.

God is so good to me. To us. I'm so thankful for his gentle reminders that he is always at work in our lives, even when we may not think it is so or feel like it. Remember when I said that experience has shown me that just when I come to the end of myself, God swoops in showing his sovereignty and power? Well, He did that last night at church. God's fingerprints were all over the evening.

What is interesting to me, is that now, in retrospect, I can see the intensity of the spiritual battle going on throughout the day prior to church time; everything to discourage us from making it to church last night. It was our (my husband and I) evening to sing on the worship team. Both of us woke up yesterday feeling totally exhausted. I am fighting some kind of sinus stuff, and he was tired from a long week at work at a physically demanding job. His back felt as if it would spasm at any moment. Our youngest child is sick with a bad cold and was not feeling up to going to church (she's old enough to stay by herself and quite an independent sort), one was working and the other two had involvements at church that required some coordinating of schedules. Honestly, it would have been much easier to just bag the whole day and start over tomorrow.

But, because of the commitment we had to singing we knew we had to be there, so we went, feeling totally drained and fatigued. During our pre-service prayer time we just surrendered to the Lord and knew we had to be dependent on Him--we both felt we had nothing to give. (We always know this, especially when participating in leading worship--but it was even more so last night.) From that moment onward, it was evident that God took us at our heart pleadings, and took over--From the songs that we sang, to the song my husband sang as a solo, to the encouragement of conversations with dear friends, and the convergence of people in the right place at the right time, to an impromptu meeting, to hearts being open and humble, to grace given and received--God was so present, not only redeeming the day, but showering us with his presence and love. It's kind of funny (odd) that last night's message was entitled, "Running from God". For me, a more accurate title would have been, "Hearing from God and running right into His arms!"

I'm still in the storm. But I'm so thankful for the break in the clouds. For the respite of sonshine that warms me and encourages me to keep going. I'm thankful for the prayers of many and am reminded to be praying for others in their storms.

God is Faithful!

2 comments:

  1. He is so good to meet us when we need him most! Glad that you are seeing brief rays of light peeking out through the storm clouds.

    Hang in there!
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that He always knows just when to shine those rays into our lives.

    ReplyDelete