Monday, April 09, 2007

Easter Ponderings




This is the third attempt I've made in as many days to sit down and actually write something! I'm not suffering from writer's block, but rather writer's overload. Too many things swirling through my mind as of late. I'm having a difficult time paring things down to digestible sizes and it continues to come out jumbled! Ugh! So, I've decided to give a "Reader's Digest" version of life these days beginning with the Easter celebration of this past week.

Easter was especially nice this year, perhaps because I was more involved in the services at church this weekend than in recent years. I am one that would much rather participate in the production of an event than be an on-looker (goes along with my learning style--hands on, etc.) , so being a "reader" at the Good Friday services was a good kick off to the Easter services. The Good Friday service was very well planned and orchestrated. I know, personally, each service impacted me and I would say from observation that many were personally engaged in a new way. It was a profound evening.

Going forward, my husband and I sang on worship team this weekend for three of the five church services celebrating Christ's resurrection. That was a pure joy! It was just one on-going celebration all weekend long. I think I could have sung a few more times...it was exhilarating each time singing songs about His victory over sin. I wanted the party to go on a little longer! He is risen! He is risen indeed! (And I'm so thankful!)

Leading up to this resurrection weekend, the worship department at church has provided a prayer labyrinth. This was the 4th year for it, I believe. What a wonderful time to refocus and rest in the Lord. If you ever have opportunity to do this....DO!

Easter afternoon was very non-traditional. No big family dinner to attend. We're finding that more often than not, our holidays are becoming this way. We're in a transitional place right now with our extended families going different directions, both of our moms being ill, and our own kids often going different directions. Speaking of kids, they did inquire if I was still giving them Easter baskets and were greatly relieved when I told them I already had them prepared! This is a tradition that I'm thinking they'll never outgrow!

Many have asked about our moms and how they are doing. My husband's mother has now moved into an assisted care wing of a hospital on the coast. She will be there permanently. She has her good days and bad days. Half of the time she is very lucid and has quite a bit of energy, able to get around with her walker and be self-sufficient. Other days she exhibits a great amount of dementia and refuses to eat. Her weight has dropped so significantly that in many ways, this currently is her greatest health threat. She is fully recovered from a previous virus, and now her medical needs just arise from declined general health and age-related issues (she is going to be 88 this year I believe).

My mother is nearly 20 years younger than my mother-in-law. She is fighting cancer and has been undergoing chemotherapy since November. (Incidentally, she is having the same chemotherapy regimen that Lance Armstrong underwent.) Mom's response to chemo is pretty miraculous. The option was presented to her as a last ditch effort as they were pretty certain her type of cancer (multiple tumors throughout her liver and a few in her pancreas) would not respond to chemo. She is going against the odds! Her tumors are shrinking, her energy is increasing, and many of her liver and blood chemistry levels are falling within normal levels again! The battle these days is getting Mom to gain weight. She has lost too much weight and, not unlike my mother-in-law, this is presently her greatest health threat.

There...I think that helped...my head feels a little less cluttered. You've been brought up to date, and I think I've managed to clear a few spaces in my brain so that perhaps my next attempt to write will be a bit more cohesive! It's all good! Enjoy your week!

4 comments:

  1. Cheryl: I've been out of touch and out of town for a while. Tonight I'm catching up on reading blogs. I really enjoyed about your Easter Services. I'm on our praise team. Thanks for sharing about your mom's..I'll be praying for them.
    Love and Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey aunty cheryl,
    My mom told me she passed on my xanga online blog to you - I have been meaning to do that and keep forgetting! I don't post on it super often, but it is a nice way to keep up to date with old college friends. If she forgot, it is xanga.com/amyjillwad

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl,
    Thanks for reading and singing last weekend. As an "on-looker" yet participating as part of the congregation, the services were meaningful to me and my family. I appreciate the preparation that went into all of the events of Easter Week. I attended little Lillian's memorial, then later was at church celebrating Christ's resurrection. As hard as it is to see a couple lose their only child, I'm reminded that because of Christ's sacrifice for us and His resurrection, we have hope of eternal life.

    Thanks also for the update on your mom and mother-in-law so we can keep praying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great weekend! So glad your mom is doing better and I'll pray that the milkshakes and cookies settle well and put some pounds back on her little frame. :)

    ReplyDelete