Saturday, March 31, 2007

Tattoos and Towed Cars

I had an epiphany while riding in the car with my oldest child the other day. My son, "A", or "Roo" as we fondly call him (I can give explanation later) was talking to me about his plans to get a tattoo. These are those moments that I inwardly take a deep a breath, check the expression on my face and do my best to not give any indication outwardly that I'm quietly freaking out and thinking, "you want to do what?!?".

So, calmly, in my outwardly Mom-not-freaking-out-demeanor, I asked him where and what would he get tattooed. He went on to explain that he doesn't know where on his body exactly, but he'd like the verse from the Bible that says, "Something about God never giving us more than we can handle, and that He's always with us."

Inwardly, I was stunned. You see, "A" is in the process of "owning his faith". He gave his heart to Jesus when he was little, but there is a tug-0-war going on right now when it comes to allowing God to be Lord of his life. For the past several years, my dear son has travelled down some paths that we would not choose for him and have even warned him about. These days I find that I'm often praying for his safety and protection.

If there is any encouragement in this time it is that Roo's heart continues to be "soft" and has not become hardened towards God or us, his parents. He is a very intuitive, discerning young man and at times has such insight about things. And for that I'm thankful. We have some wonderful talks and he continues to open up to me about life at random times.

Questioning him further about the tattoo, I asked "A" why he would have that verse permanently marking him? Roo went on to explain that with all the "stuff" going on his life, that this truth has always brought him real comfort. He said that often he feels God brings to mind that He is present and that He'll carry him through all the tough things. Roo said that this is what keeps him from feeling so overwhelmed with life so much of the time and keeps him from just 'giving up or going over the deep end'.

We began talking about all the "stuff" that "happens" to him. He further elaborated. He shared a conversation he had with his best friend "K" the other day. "K" was commenting that it seems "A" has the "worst of luck", meaning, that when "A" makes bad choices, he seems to always get caught; "A" gets a ticket the first time he makes a poor driving choice, or his car gets towed, or there is some other kind of financial fine or hit, or....and the list goes on. "K" was saying how he gets away with a lot of things, and so do most of his friends. They don't seem to have the same "bad luck" that Roo has.

Then it hit me, as I was driving Roo to the impound lot where his newly towed car had been taken, that God has been faithful in answering my prayers for this almost 19 year-old young man from the time he was an infant. As I have prayed over each of my children, I have asked the Lord to always let them get caught whenever they do something they shouldn't do (or what is not God's "best" for them) and never let them get away with anything. My desire has been that each of them would experience the freedom of walking "in the light"--not being deceitful, or lying, or stealing, or whatever.... rather than being chained down in hidden sin and things they get away with.

My heart was jumping with joy as we drove along. I was able to see that God has been faithful and is continuing to be faithful to the covenant we made many years ago...that this child given to us to care for would grow and walk with the Lord. Despite bad choices and wrong decisions on this young man's part, the Lord is continuing to be a faithful parent, and faithful to the cries of my heart. He's not letting him get away with anything!

Dare I say that I've warmed to the idea of Roo's tattoo! How can I find harm in this young man's desire to have an outward mark of God's faithfulness? As with most 19 year olds, there is still a lot of room for growth in maturity and responsibility, and we will continue to pray to that end, but for this week, I will bask in the comfort and reassurance of God's very faithful presence in my son's life.

I'd have to say, I think this conversation was one of my favorites this week; the one that started with, "Mom, I think I'm going to get a tattoo."

7 comments:

  1. Cheryl,
    This brought tears to my eyes. "Roo" will always have a special place in mine and Kevin's hearts. We just love his passion and his discerning heart. I can't believe that I've been allowed to watch him grow into a man. I pray that someday, God will lead him back to leadership at Village so he can pour into my two boys.
    Love,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your son sounds like a wonderful yound man.

    I can see why you are proud of him.

    The Lord is faithful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go prayer warrior mom! What an awesome revelation of God's faithfulness. Just for the record I really really walked away from the Lord before radically coming back to Him. Now my faith truly is my own.
    Your story is so encouraging! I will be praying that for my boys! Thanks for sharing.
    Hang in there.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheryl - you are such an example of a mom who TRUSTS God with her kids. I so appreciate your loving and grace-filled example. Thanks for sharing this great story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. C
    Roos gonna be just fine. When he grapples with these issues he is really exploring the never ending boundaries of God's grace.

    bg

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your good words of encouragement, your encouragement to Roo and for walking along in the journey with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love you mom. Thanks for everything.

    "Roo"

    ReplyDelete