Sunday, February 25, 2007

Thankful I'm Not All There Is



I'm so thankful that there is someone, a person, bigger than me, wiser than me, someone beyond me that I can put full dependence and trust in, someone who never disappoints or fails. I'm so thankful I know the True God who is my Creator, my Savior, my Hope.

I think of those times in the valleys when everything is so dark and murky and I can barely see the next step to take...He is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path .

I think of those times when life feels out of control and His presence brings a peace and calm that is beyond anything I could ever muster up. His peace passes all understanding.

I think of those times when grief or sorrow have settled over me like a heavy wool blanket, and He holds me in His arms, hugging me, comforting me, stroking my head with His strong Daddy hands, being my strength when I have none. When I am weak, He is strong.
I think of those times when the depth of joy I experience is so profound that to try and express it only seems to minimalize it. I'm thankful there is One that that celebrates and dances with me, singing over me.

I think of those times I feel so utterly alone even if I'm surrounded by people. Times when I wonder if anyone 'gets me' or intimately knows me, really. And I'm reminded that He knows my deepest heart's desires. He formed me in my mother's womb. He thinks about me all the time!

I think of those times when I feel hurt, angry, frustrated, or the angst inside of me is almost too much to put into words. He doesn't reject me or fear confrontation. He welcomes me to talk to Him and seek His counsel. The Holy Spirit intercedes for me with groanings too deep for words.

I'm thankful that I have a Savior who daily redeems my life. This life that in and of itself is futile and has little meaning. Yet He redeems everyday to make it have worth, value, intention, purpose. He daily, increasingly, frees me up from those things that entangle me in this world, those things that are filled with self-importance, self-reliance and pride. As He faithfully, patiently, shows me all of my "stuff", a mysterious thing happens; I am able to love others deeper, have deeper peace, forgive more readily, have increasing faith, and my trust and dependence on Him grows stronger, my desire to know Him grows deeper.

I'm so thankful that I'm not all there is. I'm so thankful that there is One who is divine, sovereign, pure, real and personal.

Your Glory Endures Forever
By Charlie Hall

And you ride on wings of wind,
You are beginning and
the end.
Mountains melting in your flame,
Creation pulsing out your
name.
And you are forever,
And you are forever.

Your glory
endures forever,
Your beauty outshines the heavens,
And we will declare
your wonders,
Your splendor, your majesty.

Earth rotating in your
hand,
galaxies in your command,
You make and sustain the breath of man,
Your deeds go on forever.

Your glory endures forever,
Your
beauty outshines the heavens,
And we will declare your wonders,
Your
splendor, your majesty.

Glory and honor and praise,
Glory and honor
and praise,
Glory and honor and praise
Be unto you, Lord.


*Pictures taken by my son, Chris

2 comments:

  1. Amen and amen! It was such a refreshing weekend of being reminded where my soul finds rest, purpose, peace, and contentment - and then the outside circumstances just don't matter. Your post goes right along with this and is a wonderful encouragement as I'm going through my work day that feels annoying and futile, but trying to keep my eyes on Jesus throughout all the other stuff. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reflections and stunning photos!

    ReplyDelete