Saturday, July 07, 2007

Beautiful Scenery, Beautiful Day

Today was such a great day. I delivered the flowers for the wedding I've been working on (see previous blog). I was accompanied by my lovely assistant (my husband) who offered to come along and help with the set up. We made a morning of it getting specialty coffees to accompany us on our 45 minute drive. The wedding was being held in the garden of this 150 year old historical house. I had never been to the "Robert Newell House" before, but it is a beautiful place for a wedding.

My husband and I made good time getting there and were the first to arrive. Since I had to wait until the caterer and cake arrived to place any flowers, and none of the wedding party had arrived, we spent time talking with the care takers of the grounds. This sweet couple is probably just a wee bit older than we are and lives on the grounds year round. We hit it off quite well as they have a background in crafts making furniture and replicas of antique dolls. They are "artsy/craftsy" types. We connected right away!

Since we were in waiting mode, we were treated to a private tour of the old house and the one room school house that also occupies the grounds. We got a mini-history lesson and had the luxury of asking lots of questions. It was so fun!

Soon, family members arrived and I went to work placing the flowers on the cake, centerpieces on the reception tables, aisle decor on the chairs and handing off the bride's bouquet and various boutonnieres and corsages. We left prior to the ceremony, but it looked like it was going to be a great celebration.

In parting, we said farewell to our hosts, the caretakers. As I thanked Mrs. Caretaker for her hospitality we hugged one another as if we had been friends for a long time. She urged us to come back and visit them again, and to send business cards to her so she could promote my wedding floral work. I reciprocated and am eager to let people know about this little jewel of a place for wedding ceremonies.

On the car ride home we vowed to go back and visit another day and felt as if we had made some new friends. It was a great morning!

I've posted a few pictures of the wedding flowers just for fun. The bride had chosen a bright mix of summer flowers, wanting it to "feel" like she picked all the flowers from her garden and put them together for her celebration. She also wanted a touch of elegance and so she chose all white lilies for her bouquet and the cake. Very pretty and fun to do! I'm terrible at remembering to take photos of my work, and as it is, I forgot to take a picture of the bride's bouquet and the groom's bout! Anyway, here's a sample. Not great photo quality. Sorry 'bout that!

White stargazer lilies with ivy cascading on cake.

Corsage and Boutonniere (Ugh! Out of focus! Sorry!)









Small flower bouquets lined
the center aisle, attached
to chairs draped with tulle.


It's a little difficult to tell from the pictures, but this gives you an idea of the centerpieces--an eclectic grouping of seasonal, bright flowers on each table.




7 comments:

  1. My dear Lucy,

    I knew you were talented in many ways but I had no idea just how many! Actress, singer, mother, wife, child, friend and now florist. I'm in awe of your gifts. Certainly God was being a tad over- generous when he bestowed so many gifts on one person. But He picked the right person when He chose you. Beautiful flowers for a beautiful occasion made by a beautiful person. Hey, that should be your slogan!

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl,
    What beautiful arrangements! Your day with your hubby sounded perfect. You deserved that time with him. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Love,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely flowers and sounds like it was a lovely day!

    If you want pictures of your arrangements, I know someone who REALLY likes to take pictures of flowers . . . me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You all are so kind! It was a really nice morning. We topped off the day by singing on worship team for the weekend. It was a very "full" day, but very FULL of God's goodness and beauty.

    Kim, I actually thought of you when I was trying to take pictures! I knew you would be able to make the flowers look beautiful! I may just take you up on the suggestion!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to meet up with you to talk flowers anytime next week. I get off work at 4:30 every weekday so anytime after that would be great. Give me a call or email. I look forward to it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheryl,
    Everything was PERFECT! My mom loved the flowers, and having those extra ones worked out great. Thank you so much! You are multi-gifted and you have such a sweet admirable devotion to Jesus. I appreciate you so much.
    Michelle
    BTW We have plenty of pictures, the photographer got several close ups of the bouquet, I will pass them on when we get them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle!! I'm so glad that your Mom was happy with the way things turned out. She was absolutely gorgeous!! All the family members were so kind and warm...it seemed like a genuinely joyous day!

    Oh, a couple of pictures would be great! I really do need to work on having a portfolio of some kind!

    I'm so glad it was a good day. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of the fun!

    ReplyDelete