Friday, July 20, 2007

Savory Samplings

"O taste and see that the Lord is good." Psalm 34:8

This verse from the Bible hangs by my front door. It is part of a large picture that shows a bountiful fruit bowl in bright, appealing colors that invites the observer to have a taste.

The imagery of having a taste of the Lord's goodness--perhaps one of those small spoon-sized samplings one gets at Baskin & Robbins of an intriguing ice cream flavor--has always appealed to me. It conveys the notion that once you have a little taste, a savory sample, a nibble if you will, you'll get hooked and want more, coming back, sampling larger portions each time, creating an insatiable appetite for Him.

I would say that my journey with the Lord began very much like that, entrusting Him with the little things of my life, experiencing just a taste of His goodness. Through the years as I've seen and experienced His care and faithfulness, grace, provision and direction, my trust and faith have continually grown. I entrust more of myself and my life to Him with assurance that He is more than able, and much more capable, of directing my life than I am! The more I trust Him, the more I see Him at work, the more I see His power and sovereignty. It keeps me coming back and asking for more!

Recently, God has been overwhelming me with His power, faithfulness, grace and sovereignty. I'm not just experiencing a taste of God's goodness, but a whole banquet. The abundant portions of blessings, answered prayers, direction and encouragement, are almost indigestible! He has brought about so many amazing things all in a two week period! I'm nearly exhausted. I'm filled with so much gratitude, and such a keen awareness of a powerful God meeting me on such a personal level. And not only for me, but for my family.

Here's a small sampling of what has been served:

A new home. We had stopped looking and resigned ourselves to staying put for the next school year. God plopped this house in our lap through some dear friends who are moving into a new home. We didn't even know they were moving! Same school district, same commute, same everything--we'll be moving mid-August and settled by the first of September!


The joy of sharing Christ and His gift of salvation with a dear young woman

Young men and woman "owning" their faith

Wise doctors and spare parts(!)


Long talks with adult children


Children filled with joy and compassion for others

2 new kittens

Thank you, Lord!
O, won't you join me and taste and see that the Lord is GOOD!

2 comments:

  1. Even though your cup is running over with blessings right now, it's still only a taste of what the Lord can do! That's the amazing part. He is so much bigger and better than we could ever imagine. I pray that the blessings keep flowing your way and that your cup continues to run over!

    ReplyDelete