Thursday, July 05, 2007

Wedding Flowers

Just had to post something joyful.

I am preparing to do wedding flowers for a Saturday wedding! I always get a little giddy at the thought of getting to sit and put together beautiful combinations of brightly colored flowers.

This afternoon I picked up the flowers from the flower market. "My" market guy is "Justin". He's such 'a nice young man'. Very easy to work with; I just give him a call 2 weeks prior to the wedding and tell him what flowers I need, quantity, colors, etc. He makes sure the flowers are at the market the day I need to pick them up.

I returned from the flower market about 1-1/2 hours ago. The large box of lilies, ferns, gerbera daisies, mums, wax flower, asters, ivy, and so forth, were looking a little limp due to the heat. The flowers are all now newly clipped and trimmed and drinking in cool water. (You can almost hear them saying 'aahhh'!)It is amazing how quickly they start to perk up. They will need to be "conditioned" for several hours before I can do anything with them.

The bride is having a very simple ceremony; only her bouquet and a groom's boutonniere, with a few corsages & bouts for adult children. However, there are 24 reception table centerpieces to put together. They will be in vases, so I can start putting those together tonight.

Ooh, watch a movie, arrange some flowers....Yeah!....sounds like a fun evening!

I'll post a picture of the final results!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun project. Can't wait to see the pix.

    (Just read yesterday's post. So sorry your kids had to go through that, and yet, what a powerful experience for them. Sometimes those hard experiences shape us into much more sensitive people.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see the results of your artistry!

    I echo Kim's comments about your kids. Please tell them I've been praying for them ever since. It made me think of our conversation we had about our kids and how dear they are to us while getting ready for the show last week. That mom is an example to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I have done a couple of weddings as a wedding coordinator at my church this last month, and it is just so special to be a part of such a joyful time! I have also gotten quite proficient at pinning on bouteinneires since I usually meet the florist and get all the flowers distributed! Although when I see the girls flowers, I usually think back to my wedding and my lovely aunt's work and it doesn't quite compare. :) Was so special to have you a part of that day! (Thinking wedding thoughts since we just finished celebrating our anniversary!) Love you.

    ReplyDelete