Wednesday, March 21, 2007

An Iridescent Path

I've mentioned in previous posts that I seem to be In process or in preparation mode--or something. I definitely feel like I'm transitioning from one thing to something else, but not sure what the something else is! There is a definite "shifting" of things happening.

The other night I had a dream that I knew was God-given. It was so clear and vivid; I knew it was from Him. My dream addressed several issues that I've been wrestling with recently. I found great comfort and reassurance in this dream and I want to share it with you all in the chance that it may be an encouragement to you as well.

The dream begins in a setting much like the set of Extreme Home Makeover. An entirely new house has been built and was ready to be decorated. I found myself standing in the kitchen of the new house. Evidently this was my designated room to decorate and furnish as I chose. (Evidently Ty Pennington was busy elsewhere.)

Gazing around the kitchen, it became quite clear that I would need to move the stove/oven unit and do a few other appliance changes that would make things "flow" better. I got the okay from the builder and he quickly made changes and agreed that the adjustments would be an enhancement to the overall flow and appeal of the room.

Next came the task of decorating. I could vividly see it! It was great--as I thought of things in my head, they would appear on the blank canvas of the kitchen walls. The palette (seemingly inspired by a field of tulips) was a combination of greens, yellows, oranges and a few different subtle shades of pink (You had to see it in my dream...it was really beautiful!) The colors were all entwined and layered beautifully with an iridescent shimmer to them that would slightly change hues when walking about the room. The room seemed alive and glowing. Sunlight was streaming through the wall of windows on the left hand side of the room. I was so excited and enjoyed the ambiance of the finished room.

Having completed the kitchen, I decided I would venture into the rest of the house to see what others were doing. The other rooms of the massive house were being completed by people I knew, many of whom are true-to-life friends. As I traveled through the halls I said hello to them as they all busily huddled together carrying out their decorating plans. I asked what their color scheme was and collectively they replied, "beige with touches of blue." As I looked around, I saw for myself it was true, blue was the only real color scattered throughout the rooms whether it was a sole down comforter on the king-sized bed, or the towels hanging in the guest bathroom, everything was beige with touches of blue. The other nuance I was very aware of in my dream was that this part of the house seemed especially dim and I remember thinking how difficult it was to see. There were no visible windows. I asked my friends if more light was available, and their reply was that I seemed to be the only one having problems...they were doing just fine..and there was "plenty of light".

After a little while, my "friends" (who seemed to act as one collective group) asked about the kitchen and inquired about my decorating choices. With great excitement I shared my color scheme, the light that was able to stream through the windows and shimmer of the bright, cheery walls. What ensued next left me disheartened.

Everyone stopped what they were doing and looked at me. Then I was sternly informed that the color scheme was beige and blue, and that's what they were doing, and it was strongly suggested that I do the same for continuity. I pleaded my case with them, asking them to just come see the kitchen and perhaps they could see how great it all looked...but they wouldn't come with me to see. They again strongly suggested that I change to blue and beige and follow their lead, because what they were doing was "classic", elegant and, basically, they knew better and there were more of them. My mind was in a swivet as I tried to reconcile that these were my friends, yet, there was the absence of compassion, the absence of working together, exchanging ideas, building on each other's abilities, wanting the best whatever that meant; I was being told I was wrong and I needed to do it their way or I would be the outcast.

As I travelled through the maze of rooms, my heart was aching. I quickened my steps and avoided talking to them as I made my way back to the kitchen...my refuge. As I entered in, sunlight and warmth were once again streaming in through the windows. The delight that the colors brought to my hurting heart felt like a comforting salve. I felt embraced by the light and encouraged by the brilliance of colors.

This is where I wanted to stay, yet in my dream, I felt the weight of the decision I was faced with: do I cover over the joyful colors with a layer of beige paint, accessorized by a color of blue, to fit in and be acceptable with others in the house, and run the risk of things being dimly lit, but conforming?; or do I live in a full spectrum of colors, flooded with light, by myself.

I abruptly woke up. I couldn't go back to sleep for quite a while.

This dream spoke right to several areas or things I'm encountering or have been processing over the past few months; friendships/relationships that have been "shifting", decisions and choices I am having to make, or will have to make--delineations that are becoming clearer. What I've learned and continue to learn is that often, when we choose to follow the Lord wholeheartedly and are willing to live an adventuresome life with Him, we may be called to, and often are, called to a path that we travel alone.

My dream gave me a visual that has been a great encouragement to me over the past few days. When I remember the beauty of the colors and streaming sunlight (or son light) and the peace that I was wrapped in, it has encouraged me to stay there and not wander back into the other hallways of the house. I am encouraged to continue on this path of faith, living in the exuberance of new adventures with God, and abundant life in Him that may look different when compared to others...but finding joy and peace in choosing the unconventional and avant-garde over the safe and classic.

7 comments:

  1. Wow! I love how God can use dreams to bring clarity and perspective to our lives. Thanks for sharing this. :)

    I tagged you for a little game. See my blog if you want to play along.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you follow His leading and went back into the streams of sunshine and yellow in the kitchen. That's where wants you, and how precious he showed it to you in a dream. I love when he does that. Your decision to follow him into His adventures inspires me too.
    Sweet dreams!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl, this is so amazing. God is so good...he chooses the times he knows we will listen the best to speak to us so clearly. Thank you so much for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheryl that is powerful! This speaks so loudly. It is almost as if the last 1 to 2 years were explained in that dream. It is a lonely road once you begin to only want to serve him...but the warmth that comes is beyond measure. You truly challenge me my friend.
    Love you--K

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe this is also a message from God of a possible new career choice for you. Weren't you thinking about that earlier? How about Interior Decorator??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Cheryl! What a wonderful dream! Isn't it amazing how He will use a dream to show us He is there. Be rest assured!

    hugging you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once in a while God gives us a dream that we know is "more" than a normal dream. They only come occasionally, but are a great blessing. It's like we're going along in life and God decides to give us an extra boost!

    ReplyDelete