Sunday, March 25, 2007

Word for the Day

Ugh! I've been fighting sickness for the past 1-1/2 weeks. Friday I finally succumbed to feeling rotten. It was definitely time to see the doctor as things were not improving. It was confirmed--a sinus infection has taken up residence. That would explain the intense headache, swollen eyes, hurting ears, etc. (TMI?) Thankful for the hope that a prescription for antibiotics will have me feeling re-energized and motivated again, I've been doing my fair share of resting, watching TV and sleeping.

I'll confess, I'm not a very good sick person. I get bored after a while and get fidgety, wanting to do activity even though my body says it needs to just lay in bed. I begin to see the projects, the housework that needs to get done, and so on, and before I know it, there is some underlying mental stress that comes with being sick. (This was probably cultivated from those years of having young children and knowing there were no sick days to be had as a mom...I just pushed through it and did all the everyday stuff whether I was sick or not.)

This morning, after checking email, reading blogs, etc., I finally picked up my Bible and began reading.

This was the Word for me today:

Deuteronomy 4:39, "Acknowledge and take to heart this day that the Lord is God in heaven above and on the earth below. There is no other."

This spoke right to my heart and need of the day.

Thank you for your Word to me today, Lord. Thank you for putting things in perspective, and for these times of imposed rest; times when I am made to be still and acknowledge you. Thank you for this hope and encouragement for today, that you are sovereign and in control.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry you're not feeling well. I think we all sink back into those thoughts that "mom's can't have sick days" even when our kids are gone.
    Your word for the day is good for all of us. And your prayer, a prayer for me too.
    I miss you on the days you don't post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry that you are not feeling well. I would bring you some home made chicken soup, crackers and 7-up if I lived close to you! I really would!

    I still keep going even when I am sick. Your word is good for me as well! For everyone!

    ReplyDelete