Friday, September 22, 2006

Cherub Faces


My son's alarm was blaring, marking the beginning of another high school day, but he was still sleeping soundly. As I went into his room to turn off the alarm and make sure he was waking up, I took a moment to look at his face. I was reminded of the same sweet face that would greet me in the early mornings when he was an infant--those baby days when he had the sweetest, roundest cherub face, rosey lips and pink cheeks that begged to be kissed.

A scene from the movie "Hook"comes to mind. Peter had returned to Neverland but the lost boys didn't recognize him because he had aged. One boy places his hands on Peter's face and pulls the skin tight, revealing a youthful looking Pan. Gazing into Peter's eyes, the boy exclaims, "Oh, there you are, Peter!" I feel that same sensation as I look past the facial hair stubble and the defined, strong features of my son's face. Gazing beyond the manly features, and pulling back the years, I think, "oh, there you are my sweet boy."

In this moment just before the day begins, I still see that cherub face now disguised as a young adult. Oh, thank you for the joys of cherub faces still greeting me in the morning.

1 comment:

  1. So cute! :)

    It was so funny, tonight on the way to church, I thought to myself, "Boy, I'm really in the mood to hold a baby. Maybe I should go down to the nursery and just see if they need any help tonight." Instead, I went into service and right in front of me sat a couple with a three week old baby. During the time when we were introducing ourselves, the new mom kindly asked, "Do you want to hold her?" So I was able to hold a beautiful little snuggly girl for the whole service. God is so cool! Only he could have known how much that comforted me and encouraged me tonight and after the crazy week I had, let me breathe in the sweet scent of baby to calm my heart and refresh my spirit.

    ReplyDelete