Saturday, September 16, 2006

Saturday Morning Blessings



Wake up. Let the dogs out. Get the coffee brewing. Turn on the dishwasher that I forgot to turn on last night. Let the dogs back in. Feed the dogs. Pour a cup of coffee. Stake claim to the computer. Take in the peace and quiet all around. Start blogging. Aaahhh, Saturday morning is here!

I actually tried to go back to sleep after letting the dogs out this morning. But as I was laying in bed, my mind started churning, the wheels of thoughts were turning (oh, I made a rhyme!). thinking about blogging this morning! So, I gave in!

Blogging has been a wonderful surprise. Such a fun blessing. I'm really enjoying writing. Unlike many of you, my fellow bloggers, I have not aspired to be a writer. Writing is my preferred mode of expression, but usually it is confined to a journal, nothing so public. I always did well in English classes, and I did win an all-city essay writing contest in the 8th grade, writing about "The Environment." (Come to think about it, in the 70's, "the environment" was such a cutting-edge topic...wow, I was a flower child and didn't even know it!) But I've never considered myself to be "a writer."

Another joy about blogging is all the new "friends" that I've made! I've enjoyed the candid "real-ness" as each of you have shared your thoughts, struggles, joys and life with others, including me. What a wonder that I can "talk" to someone in India or Egypt with just a few key strokes. Or encourage someone else just by sharing my story. And then there are those friends located closer to home that I have reconnected with because of blogging. I've so enjoyed our discussions and e-mails.

Sitting here this morning, I've been thinking about all the blessings of the week. Years ago, long before Oprah and her gratitude journal, I began journaling about the blessings in my life. There was a time in my life when I really didn't think God was all that "good" and there was just too much hard stuff all the time. I began training (dare I say, disciplining?) myself to see God's goodness and to be thankful for the blessings in life. It takes work to see the good stuff in life. We all know the hard stuff is there, and SO easily seen, but being conscious of the blessings and joys takes work, but it is necessary to have balance--it keeps me balanced--to pay attention to things and give thanks.

I have not journaled about blessings in some time, but I still look for them and am so thankful. These are some of the blessings of my week, some obvious, some obscure:

* My oldest son told me that he knows he can talk to us (his parents) about anything and he never worries that we'll reject him.

* My second oldest son has discovered singing in the choir at school and photography. He's bursting at the seams with enthusiasm over these new-found creative outlets. (He's 16, these may change next week!)

* My third child, and oldest daughter, is finding some really great friendships and enjoying being a freshman in high school. She is blossoming socially, something that was a trial for her in middle school.

* My youngest daughter went kayaking this week as part of a leadership group field trip from school. She absolutely loved it and conquered some real fears.

* A friend of ours told us he has a new computer for us--one that he "inherited". He had prayed about it and said our family came to mind. (The back story to this is that for quite a while now we have wanted, even needed, a second computer--6 people sharing one computer for homework, home management stuff, e-mail and of course, blogging, has become so cumbersome.--but have never told anyone. Financially it isn't in the budget, so we just kind of let it go.)

* I'm thankful for jobs that provide enough income so that we can eat pretty much anything we want, pay our bills, put gas in the cars, buy school supplies and pay school fees.

* As I turned on our gas fireplace this week to get rid for the morning chill, I was thankful that I could have heat at the flip of a switch.

* I'm thankful for the group of men that my husband Ron meets with every Friday morning. This is a group not from our church, but comprised mostly of fellow UPS guys, multi-denominational, multi I-generational, who have committed to meeting every Friday at 6 am. They really walk the walk, coming alongside one another, praying for one another and encouraging one another as husbands, dads and brothers in Christ. This has been a place where Ron feels, and is, loved and accepted, and such a source of encouragement to him.

* An old friend called this week to let us know that he and his family have just moved back to the area.

* I found out what is wrong with my wrist and have the hope that it can be "fixed" and that I will feel better.

* The joy of music. I love how it gets deep into my insides and moves me, allows me to see the Lord more clearly.

* The Lord said "no" about an area of involvement. I'm thankful that I have some direction, and even though I don't know what I'm going to, I have the peace of knowing what I'm not doing.

    God is good. Praise God from whom all blessings flow~

    3 comments:

    1. Thanks Cheryl! I have enjoyed all of your entires, although I only leave a comment occasionally. What a good reminder to keep a list of blessings, as we tend to focus on the negatives. My big blessing this week is that my 14 year old son is doing well in high school! You may remember my whining last year about his study habits. So far he seems like a completely different young man, taking the initiatve to do his homework every day, and wanting to get good grades! I'm so used to being in a negative tizz about this, and many other things as well, I hardly know how to react! I'd like to figure out which teachers, youth leaders, prayer partners, etc. to thank that God has used to be a part of this blessing.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thank you so much for sharing your heart, Cheryl. Even though I don't get to see you as much as I like, I know I can check in and get at least one nugget of wisdom from you. I'm going to start my blessing journal tonight! What a great way to see and focus on God's goodness in our everyday lives-definitely not one of my strengths in the busyness of life.
      Love,
      Jennifer

      ReplyDelete
    3. Oh - he is a good God, isn't he! So great to hear the blessings going on in your family!

      I heard "C's" story from Klemtu again this morning and was so impressed with the man of God he is becomming. You and Ron are doing such a great job! And yay for the new computer! Keep on writing!

      ReplyDelete