Thursday, September 14, 2006

Pins & Needles: A Lesson in Nerve Conduction


Recently I found out that I need to have surgery on my left wrist to repair torn cartilage. I have had on-going pain in my wrist since about April, but it wasn't the same carpal tunnel pain I've experienced. I have also been having increased tingling in my pinky and ring finger on that hand as well and didn't know if this was just part of having torn cartilage, or what was going on. Upon closer examination of the MRI results, a cyst was spotted that is located in such a spot that it is putting pressure on my artery and "ulnar" nerve. (I have also been having "sluggish" blood flow to that side of my hand. (TMI?) "Ah ha!" There really has been something going on, and although I wish there were another way to take care of it, it is nice having the hope that things will be repaired during that day surgery (scheduled for Sept. 29) and I can go on with life as normal, although probably a little slower at "posting" at least for a little while during the recovery process!

Just now I have returned from yet another appointment at the orthopedic doctor's office. This time I met with an associate of his who examines nerve conduction. My doctor, Dr. "Mc" wants to be certain that any nerve issues I have are localized and not coming from another source in my arm. Anyway, I saw Dr. "L" this morning. He was going to determine the condition of my ulnar nerve.

As I walked into the room I saw a lap top computer, some wires, a few little pad type things, a wand-ish looking instrument and gel. Nothing too threatening in appearance. The doctor was very pleasant and answered questions, thoroughly explained what he was looking for, etc. I felt comfortable, even relaxed. He began drawing on my arms with a ball point pen, making "x's", dots, and arrows. He pulled out his tape measure, making note of the distance between different pairs of markings, and then began to explain the procedure.

Now, of course I know our bodies conduct electricity and that our muscles and nerves send electrical impulses to one another. But somehow, I hadn't really thought through the whole test process and that electricity would be involved. Boy, was I in for a "shock" (pun intended).

That "wand" instrument....it is used to send an electrical current through points along the nerves that make your fingers, arms and body twitch. As if to make things seem not so bad, he likened the impulse to that of a "carpet shock" or static electricity. And I'm thinking, "who likes that?" He continued to hook me up with little "conductors" along my arms, my hand and wrist. On comes the laptop and then those words, "Okay, you'll have a little twitching in your fingers and it might feel a little strange." That was doctor-ese for 'there is no way to make this seem pleasant so I'll just lie'. I would have to say that the "impulses" did deliver a surprise like a carpet shock, but not of the same intensity...they were worse! Thankfully, Dr. L could adjust the intensity and did so from time to time, so there were only a few that really made me gasp and jerk all over. (Pleasant image, I know!)

Oh, did I mention the "small pin" that was also part of the procedure? This was mentioned almost like an after thought. "I will also use a small pin just to take a reading of some of the muscle activity." Okay, this was a needle...not a pin. (More of that doctor-ese.) It was painful when inserted just under the skin of my thumbs and pinky finger. As he mentioned, the hands are probably one of the most sensitive parts of our bodies with more nerve endings than most everywhere else. I could tell that was true! He used this "pin" on my upper arm and I really did barely feel it. Hardly any sensation...but as he worked his way down my forearm, then my wrist and then to my palm, the pain sensation increased. The "cool" thing about this probe, is that he could "listen" to my muscles. I could see the muscle impulses on the computer screen, but there was an audible noise my muscles were making as I moved my fingers and clutched my fist. How can this be?

Laying there, I began to talk to Dr. L about how we're made and how amazing all this is. I don't know if he is a believer or not, but I was struck with the sense that he never gets tired of this...seeing how things work...figuring out why things don't connect right, etc. I said something about how we're so intricately designed and that having tests like this just helps me appreciate it more all the time. He joined in with agreement, echoing that we have been designed and created so marvelously. It was just such a nice moment, appreciating science and technology, but acknowledging and appreciating the real wonder of how we're created.

Driving home just now, I was just kind of awe-struck. Reflecting on the examination, I was appreciating my nerves, my muscles, even that I can feel pain or discomfort-- (However, I still don't like electrical impulses.)--and so thankful for the intricacies of the human body.

That was my morning...now I get to go have lunch with my dear friend...after I clean off all the ball point pen markings.

No comments:

Post a Comment