Friday, September 08, 2006

A Gray Hair Day

As I sit here blogging, I'm waiting for time to pass as I have just put brown hair coloring on my gray "sideburns". I'll confess, this is a ritual I do from time to time. For someone quickly approaching 47, I've been told I am very fortunate to have so few "grays". However, I am discovering that the grays I do have like to congregate in particular spots, most noticeable at my "sideburn" area. I have dark brown hair, but right at my temples, next to my ears, is an ever increasing patch of white! So, from time to time, I dab on a little Medium Brown permanent touch up to cover the white and blend in with the rest of my hair.

Just now, as I was staring in the mirror, looking at the increasing strands of white and glancing down to my eyes that look tired and creased today, I again encountered that twinge...that one that happens from time to time...when reality grips me and I really see that I'm aging. What an odd thing it is. I feel so much like me on the inside--not old or aging, but rather feeling wiser and more discerning--but the outside is becoming a stranger. Who IS that in the mirror? When I was thirty-something, I really had planned to gracefully embrace the wrinkles and the graying tresses, but now, living in it, I'm not liking it so much!

Well, gotta go...time to rinse out those grays! Okay, so for another 6 weeks, I'll still live in a little bit of denial!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I can relate to this. But I just pull my white ones out, at least the ones I can see. I know, before long there will be too many and I'll be bald if I keep pulling them out! My theory is I've earned these gray hairs, I have teenagers!

    .

    ReplyDelete